Last weekend my wife and I completed our first 5k Parkrun in Chester, England the town where we live.
As first time runners we were not sure of the process but it was simple.
Here are the quick steps:
- Got to http://www.parkrun.com and go to the registration page
- Fill in brief details about yourself including any medical issues and your ICE ( in case of emergency) contact.
- You will then get an email with your Parkrun number and links to the Parkrun portal where you will need to print your barcode.
- Without printing the barcode you won’t be able to get a time. So we just printed ours and took along.
- Look on the Parkrun website about where your local run is. It’s normally 0900 start on Saturday.
That’s all you need to do. Then go to the run.
At the Run
The race is started by the race director who gives a few does and dont’s, asks about anyone who has traveled, first timers and milestones. All in good humour.
Then you are off.
Chester Parkrun Course
The Chester Parkrun is held near the Countess Hospital in the country park at the back. It’s a course that is undulating and not flat so be aware. It also crosses a field so the path can be icy, muddy and full of water.
It’s two laps of the top part of the course, which means going over the muddy field and then to the finish line.
The course map is below.
Great experience running.
Times were decent for first time 29m for me and 36m for my wife ( who has only been running a few months)
So all in all a great event well run and defiantly got the Parkrun bug now.